2 cups hazelnuts (1/2 lb), toasted loose skins rubbed off with a kitchen towel
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
4 cups turkey stock, or reduced sodium chicken broth
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400F with racks in upper and lower thirds. Generously butter baking dish.
2. Arrange bread in 1 layer in 2 large shallow baking pans and toast, switching positions of pans halfway through baking, until golden and dry about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, cook shallots in 1 stick margarine in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms, celery, thyme, sage, and 12 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid given off by mushrooms has evaporated and mushrooms are browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Add wine and deglaze skillet by boiling, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until wine is reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bread in bowl. Add hazelnuts and parsley and toss.
5. Whisk together stock, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoonm pepper, then stir into bread mixture. Transfer to baking dish and dot top of stuffing with remaining 1/2 stick margarine.
6. Bake, loosely covered with a sheet of foil in lower third of oven 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake until top is browned, about 15 minutes more.